Cats are greedy animals, a bit like us. Except that their organisms are more sensitive than ours. This implies that a certain number of foods are strictly forbidden to them because they could make them sick. Some are surprising, and others are simply obvious. Discover without further ado these 6 things that you should never feed your furry friend.
We all have in mind the image of the cat who laps up his milk in his bowl. What if we told you that this is not recommended? Cats tolerate milk when they are very young, and then less and less from the beginning of their weaning period. As adults, cats no longer produce enough lactase, an enzyme that helps digest lactose. Even though they still love milk, it can cause bloating, diarrhea, vomiting, and other digestive problems that are not fatal, but will still make them uncomfortable. Also, avoid giving them any kind of dairy products like yogurt or cheese, as they could have the same effect, or even lead to allergies.
If by any chance you would like to give your cat legumes, think twice. Even though it is becoming more and more common for cat food to be made from pulses, serving them as they are in a bowl can make your pet sick. Lentils, peas, soybeans, and beans are extremely difficult for even an adult cat to digest. Once again, you are exposing your pet to the risk of various intestinal disorders. It is therefore preferable to avoid serving them to your cat.
It may seem obvious, but you should never, ever give your cat raw meat to eat. Whether it's red meat or poultry, when it's raw, it presents extremely dangerous bacterial risks for your pet's health. In chicken, for example, the possible presence of salmonella bacteria could infect your cat and make it very sick. Other parasites can also be found in your cat's intestine and in some cases can even kill him.
Grapes may look harmless, but they're not. Grapes contain a toxin that, when digested by the cat, goes directly into the kidneys to be filtered out. Except once arrived in this organ, it causes severe renal insufficiency in the animal. As a result, the cat starts vomiting, cannot move, and may even have urinary problems within a few hours after ingesting the grapes. This applies to both grapes and raisins. Both cause poisoning that can have serious consequences. Therefore, do not eat them.
Another surprising food not to give your cat is canned tuna. At least, it's not recommended to give it to your cat every day. First of all, canned tuna was not designed for animals. It has a salt and fat content that is far too high for a cat's body to tolerate. Secondly, canned tuna, unfortunately, does not cover all the nutritional needs of the animal, which means that it is at risk of developing deficiencies, especially in vitamins. Since your cat is likely to love these little cans, you can give him some from time to time. The main thing is not to base his diet exclusively on this, at the risk of seeing him wither and even develop digestive problems.
Like our friends, the dogs, and cats can't stand chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine, a substance that is highly harmful to certain animals, particularly canines, felines, and equines. Theobromine affects the heart rate and can cause your pet's heart to malfunction. A small amount of dark chocolate (50 to 150 g), the richest in theobromine, can cause severe food poisoning and even death quickly. Worse still if you give him cocoa directly. Remember to close the cupboards and keep your cat away from the kitchen when preparing cakes to avoid accidents.